This is part 2 of the refashion of this delightful 80s ensemble. For part 1 (the blouse) click here.
The original “Howard’s Way” outfit, a matching 80s blouse and skirt in size 18, was £14.99 from Save the Children in Whitby. Time to tackle that skirt!
Firstly, I knew this was getting totally dismembered, so I removed the waistband and lining. It had pleats about 6″ long sewn into the front and back of the skirt at the waistband. I thought that if I unpicked the pleats I would get one long piece of material which could be cut into a new dress. How wrong I was.
The excess material from the pleats had been cut away all around the skirt leaving a castellated effect rendering a very large portion of the material useless. How annoying! I had to re-read a hundred old Burdas to find a dress pattern with the simplest possible design that used the least possible amount of material. In the end I settled on one from the latest issue - Burda 06/2011 #113B. It’s a really simple sundress pattern with no zips or buttons, instead it has ties at the shoulders.
The back and the front are identical. Because of the lack of material, the back of the dress had to be pieced. As a result there is a horizontal seam across the back of the dress at approximately the waistline (below). I don’t think it looks too bad….
Here’s the front after sewing together, hemming and making the casing for the ties….
I wore this to a wedding up in Scotland. The material is very light so I thought it would be perfect for the outdoor summer wedding that was planned. Unfortunately we got authentic Scottish weather, ie. it poured down all day….
For the ceremony I styled it with a white skinny belt and off-white tuxedo jacket, which is one of my wardrobe staples. After dinner the jacket came off for the ceilidh…