Believe it or not, this is my most expensive piece to date! £14.99 from Save the Children in Whitby. It’s actually two pieces, a size 18 blouse and skirt in thin polyester. The pattern is so 80s… I love it. I mean, it’s about as 80s as it could be if it’s not visible white socks and mens suit jackets with the sleeves rolled up. The pattern actually reminds me of yachts – it’s straight out of ‘Howard’s Way’.
I’m going to tackle the blouse in this post, and the skirt at a later date. The blouse has a beautiful sort of sweetheart neckline which is (after the amazing pattern) its best feature.
First, out came the shoulder pads….
Next, I cut up the side seams, removed the sleeves, and unpicked the bust darts…
Then, I used my dressform to pin and sew new darts and side seams, and cut new armholes. I also adjusted the length.
Mass production techniques from the original garment unfortunately had left a hole in the fabric at the point of each of the original bust darts. The position of these was such that they were visible on the side front of my new blouse. In the end I decided to just live with it. Probably only me (and you, now you’ve read this) will notice.
I toyed with the idea of making binding for the armholes but, short on time, I just clipped the curves as best I could and folded over. It doesn’t look perfect, but it’s good enough. Here I am modelling the new blouse with my new slinky white satin summer trousers!
Since it was a lovely sunny day, I headed over to Columbia Road flower market with my friend R. Here are some pics of the market, R buying flowers, and my new sunglasses! The market was totally rammed but we had a great morning :-)