Not sure if this equation balances exactly, but I think it’s pretty close.
Kylie is wearing Stella McCartney and looking fabulous! Anne Hathaway has also worn a version of this look, but not as flattering. Kylie’s version has big and small, black and white squares and some see-through sections.
I’m going to be making a Kylie-inspired shirt, not an exact copycat this time. I’m starting with this shirt, which fits well enough but could do with livening up a bit.
I paid £3 for this in the Trinity House Hospice Shop in Streatham (reduced from £4!).
I started by thread tracing the style lines onto my blouse in red thread. I redid these a couple of times until I was happy with them (Click to enlarge pics below, you can just about see the red thread).
I separated it into three main sections. The body of the shirt is the first, up to the top button. Next is the area with big squares, which includes the entire neckline; it has a sweeping curve under the bust on the left. The third area is Kylie’s see through shoulder – which I am making in white. My version is a bit simpler than Kylie’s; I decided against a second see through section below the big squares.
What I did next was to place the shirt onto some tissue paper and draw around the whole thing. I then had to trace my red thread lines onto the paper as well. I used a combination of pins, tracing wheel and guesswork. Then I checked all the pieces to make sure they were symmetrical, that the curves were the same length etc., and added the button placket and seam allowances. The hardest part was the dart on the big squares section.
Next step was to make a quick toile. I am using a yellow sheet here!
Happily it all fit together reasonably well so I went ahead and cut out my pieces. I used some thick black and white cotton I bought locally as well as some thinner white cotton muslin-type stuff.
Here’s the inside. I’m using the same white cotton, cut on the grain, as an underlining for the bias-cut big squares.
Assembly at this point looked reasonably good…
…so I went ahead and cut off the top of the original shirt, leaving a 1.5cm seam allowance…
…and sewed the whole thing together.
At this point, I tried the whole thing on in front of the mirror. It didn’t fit. The button placket at the front was overlapping by about 2″ at the neckline. Argh! Not sure how this got through the toile stage as it was a fairly big error. After umming and ahhing about it for a while, I ended up unpicking my plackets and taking a 1″ triangular wedge out of the centre front (both sides). This meant the plackets were no longer at 45 degrees to the stripes/squares, so the pattern didn’t match up as nicely. I also mis-cut the button side, so ended up with no placket there at all. Measure twice, cut once, people!
I added bias strips around the neck and armholes for the full Peggy Olson effect.
The result is not perfect, but I’m happy! I think it’s pretty wearable. I think this can be dressed down as well as up, but here are a few shots of me wearing this as part of a fairly smart outfit.
The pictures were taken in the vicinity of the Olympic Park. I have seen the Orbit so many times but it’s still very impressive.