In preparation for this project I may or may not have watched some or all of the following: The Big Lebowski, Uncle Buck and Grease 2… that’s right, we’re going bowling!
I’ve teamed up with my girls ‘The Spoolettes‘ to complete this sewing challenge of making a bowling shirt.
I started with a white 100% cotton mens shirt from the Cancer Research Shop in Lewisham (£4.00).
The first thing I did was remove the collar and collar stand.
I also cut off the button stand and a few cm either side of it.
From blue poly/cotton poplin, I cut a new button stand and added seam allowance to the top and bottom. I also added double the seam allowance to the sides, so that the finished button stand would the the same size as the original.
I cut a new collar roughly the same length as the old one. There won’t be a collar stand on the new bowling shirt because these usually feature a camp collar. In retrospect I should have cut my collar a little wider as it turned out quite thin, but oh well.
The button plackets were folded in half inside out and I stitched along the top edge up to the point where it would meet the collar, then turned right side out and pressed. They were then attached to both sides.
Constructing and attaching the collar was relatively straightforward. The trickiest part was getting the seam allowance from the top of the button placket to stay inside the collar. I also turned the seam allowance on the long edge of the placket to the inside and stitched in the ditch from the right side to close it.
Here’s the collar and button placket assembly…
For the sleeves, I wanted to add a pop of blue there, so I decided to add a little piping. I cut the sleeves off as below.
Two strips of blue cloth were folded in half longways and inserted into the seam. The end section of the sleeve (cuff?) was folded double, so there isn’t a hem there.
It’s taking shape!
Of course, no bowling shirt would be complete without the lettering. I wanted to do my name on the front and the team name on the back. I chose the font I wanted and printed out some templates.
The back lettering was applique’d. I interfaced some more of the blue poplin and cut out my letters.
I pinned them to the shirt (decided to go with the curve in the end!) and used a small machine zig-zag to apply them. The final effect is a bit like a baseball jersey or something.
For my own name on the front, I first applied a square of interfacing onto the back of the shirt to stabilise it. I used matching embroidery thread to sew around the template, through the paper. I then tore off the paper and was left with the outline of my lettering to fill in. Filling in the letters took a while in front of the TV, but I love the result. Not bad for a first go! Finally, I tore off the excess stabiliser and cut around the lettering.
Final touches to the shirt were to reapply the original white square buttons (I sewed them on with blue thread, for fun) and make the buttonholes. On trying it on, it was still a bit big, so I ended up taking a couple of centimetres off each side and under the sleeves. I also had to cut it off to the right length and hem it.
Here it is in action….
Of course we also used the opportunity to have a drink and some American style food in the diner. Good times!