Morning folks, today we’re going to be talking about the now-infamous Burberry heart-print shirt. This is from Burberry Prorsum Fall 2013 and it retails at £495.
VB has worn this shirt…
…along with pretty much everyone else in the world.
You may not be surprised to learn that I made my own Burberry-inspired shirt!
I started with this burgundy men’s shirt from the Hospices of Hope shop in Orpington — £2 reduced from £3.50, bargain! It’s a men’s large.
The shirt is 80% Viscose, 20% Polyester according to the label. I am going to be bleaching this so I thought it best to use something with a natural fibre content. Ideally I would have used something 100% cotton, but then this shirt found its way into my hands and its fate was sealed.
Firstly I cut off the visible label hanging off the pocket.
Then I set about making my printing apparatus… yes, it’s a rubber stamp. I am using my normal pencil eraser for this (well, half of it).
All I did was draw the shape I wanted on the rubber and then use a stanley knife to trim it into shape. Folks, be CAREFUL if you try this at home.
I put some kitchen towel into a plastic container and poured some bleach on, as described in this very useful tutorial. The idea is to make a bleach stamp pad so there’s about the right amount of bleach going onto the stamp every time.
I did a few test runs on an area that would be cut off. The bottom right test was done using too much bleach, and although it was the whitest, the heart shape would have been blurred. So I had to settle somewhere in the middle.
I cut up the side seams and removed the sleeves to make the whole thing easier to work with. Note that I am protecting my table with a plastic bag.
It was then a matter of printing over and over again and trying to maintain the right spacing and straight lines! The hearts came out a kind of pink colour and slightly uneven. I think it looks pretty.
For the sleeves I put plastic bag inside them to stop the bleach going through to the back.
After printing all my pieces, I put them in the washing machine to rinse and then hung them to dry. I then had to adjust the size of the shirt at the side seams, cut new arm holes and reattach the sleeves (sorry no photos of that!).
Here’s a close up of the hearts. I left the collar and cuffs unprinted.
I am rather pleased with the result — the hearts aren’t white, so it’s more of a Buberry-inspired shirt than a copycat, but I like it that way. The hearts are each slightly different in colour, and the pink of the print contrasts well with the original burgundy, it’s like neon pink, which I love.
Anyway, here are some shots of the finished item. I am wearing it relatively formally here, but no doubt there will be a casual outfit coming up soon. This shirt is definitely in the wardrobe to stay!